30 Hp Mariner WILL NOT START FROM KEY.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbowhunk

Cadet
I just bought this boat. The motor will start up fine with the manuel rope. Tried to start it from the key and nothing. I then got the multimeter out. I check the solenoid and it had 12 V on it with the key pulled out. I shouldn't have power there with the key out right. Also there is and in-line fuse in the that blows everytime i put a new one in there. Anyone help me out..................Thanks

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 30 Hp Mariner WILL NOT START FROM KEY.....

Hi, I would agree the solenoid should not have current with the key out. Sounds like you have a short in the ignition switch or wiring to the switch, that's why it's blowing the fuse. :)

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi again, here's another thought, Check to make sure the battery wires are connected to the correct terminals on the battery. If they are backwards, the fuse will blow and you may have power showing at the solenoid.

Walker

Captain

The battery side post on the solinoid doea indeed have 12v to it even with the key off. The starter post shouldn't have any charge until you hit the start position with the key.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

:eek: I guess I should slow down and read the post a little better. Walker is correct, one side of solenoid will have current, since the positive battery cable connects to the solenoid. When I read the post, I assumed (shouldn't do that) You meant there was current on both sides of the solenoid. I should have have asked if there was, when the key was out.

newbowhunk

Cadet

I'm thinking that i may have the battery cables on the battery backwards cause the guy I bought the boat from said that the key would start it. But the battery was dead when i got it. Charged it up and put it in lastnight in the dark with a flashlight. I will check to make sure battery wires or correct. ** If this helps yall out whenever i turn the key to start the motor there is no clicking like the solenoid is closing the contacts to send power to the starter. Another thing that is wrong is the starter the bendex<-- is not moving up to turn motor over. Bendex will move up by hand just not when you bypass the solenoid. Thanks for the help...........

NathanY

Commander

Silly question here, <br /><br />Is the battery fully charged? You said that it starts just fine with a rope, you also said that you were able to move the starter, but you were not able to jump it and make the starter turn. Sounds like you have a dead Or bad battery .

newbowhunk

Cadet

Yes the battery is charged has 12V on it. Can make the starter turn by bypassing solenoid with a srewdriver. When i do that the starter turn but the dendex does not come up.........

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

JNF <br /><br />Try a different battery using jumper cables connected. One to ground and hot directly to the starter terminal. Let us know what happens

newbowhunk

Cadet

Check this out I left this part out. With the battery hook up the way i have it the bilge and aireator still comes on could this work with it hook up backwqards.......

newbowhunk

Cadet

What i'm saying is i'm leaning towards it being the battery cable on the battery backwards. But i remember the bilge and aireator working. But i'm sure with the battery cables backwards the bilge and aireator would work but would not work properly. Also with that fuse blowing on the motor this sounds logical. Who knows...Hope this help yall out......

newbowhunk

Cadet

What i'm saying is i'm leaning towards it being the battery cable on the battery backwards. But i remember the bilge and aireator working. But i'm sure with the battery cables backwards the bilge and aireator would work but would not work properly. Also with that fuse blowing on the motor this sounds logical. Who knows...Hope this help yall out......

NathanY

Commander

The aerator and bilge pump will work with the battery hooked up backwards, but they will also spin backwards.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

JNF <br />Can you hook up the battery correctly and see what happens? That would be the first step.

steven1215

Recruit
i have the same problem i have a 30 hp mariner and with the key it won't start. it was staring just fine earlier. Now it wont turn over i can pull start it and every now and then it will start with key. anyone know what i should look at first?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i have the same problem i have a 30 hp mariner and with the key it won't start. it was staring just fine earlier. Now it wont turn over i can pull start it and every now and then it will start with key. anyone know what i should look at first?

Start a new thread. 16 years old is too much for the Way Back Machine.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.