'86 Mariner 30 hp wont go into reverse

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '86 Mariner 30 hp, it goes into reverse fine when I am running the motor in a tank or in the driveway, but as soon as I get into the lakes when a load is put onto it all I get is a lot of clicking and it doesnt go into reverse. I have adjusted the cables, and they seem to be fine. <br /><br />Any ideas? Does this sound like the lower units dog gear is gone or does this sound more like cable adjustments?<br /><br />If I have to take the lower until apart, what will I need for tools? (I have torn it down before to do the water pump but thats as far as it seemed I could go.)<br />Thanks<br />-John

Walker

Captain
Re: '86 Mariner 30 hp wont go into reverse

J, you need to find out exactly where the problem is. Could be cable adjustment, cable stretch, or worn parts in lower unit. Try this. Disconnect shift cable at the engine and shift into reverse by hand. If it goes into reverse then you have a cable adjustment or stretch problem. The only remedy for cable stretch is a new cable. If when shifting by hand the lower unit still clicks and doesn't engage then you have worn gears and/or shift dog. Normally when you get thsi situation both the gear and the dog are bad.

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the reply, I forgot to say that I did the test you mentioned, I tryed to get it in by hand and I had no luck, the same clicking happened.<br /><br />I have run the boat without reverse for 2 seasons now (its just a 14' tri hull) but would like to fix it this season.<br /><br />Since the clutch dogs are worn and you mention a gear, how do I get the parts out of the lower unit. We had the lower unit all apart for seals when I bought it, but it looks like you need a special tool to unlock the hubs in the cases to allow the gears to come out- anyone? Thanks for the help.<br />-John

LOLHJ

Seaman Apprentice

anyone have any pointers on taking the guts out of the lower unit?