84 Mercury gas tank

Wide_One

Cadet
I have an 84 Merc 115 horse. It would bog down at full throttle. I removed the pick up and cleaned it out. It was really dirty. After replacing it, my boat ran great for about 1 minute. Than it started again. I can slowly give it more gas and it will come close to planing. After everything I read on here I think it is the fuel pump. However, I removed the gas tank and it was full of crud. Looked like coffee grounds. Even though I cleaned the intake, could the gas tank still have been the problem? Also, where is the best place to buy a CHEAP replacement tank?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 84 Mercury gas tank

Wide_One <br />Sure could be the problem. Sounds like it's still sucking up garbage from the bottom and clogging the pick-up strainer. Is there a reason you can't clean the tank? Is it a built in tank?

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Wide-one--Yes to the tank can still be the problem. Is you tank a builtin or portable? Also what gallon size?<br /><br />If 6 gal portable try academyor wally world-9 to 13 dollars. 12 gal portable academy or bass pro---40 to 45 dollars. <br /><br />Built in Order from bass pro or overtons size and type 80 to 150 dollars.<br /><br />Also where in central texas are you located.<br /><br />Hope this helps

dstuard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was a built in 18 gallon. I think I will replace it with a 12 gallon from bass pro shops. It was Hell getting out. So should I go ahead and rebuild the fuel pump or just try the tank first? I coach in Thorndale. It is 45 minutes from Austin. I used to coach in Boyd which is near Fort Worth.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

That's an awfully small tank for that thirsty 115 Motor. Might want to reconsider the bigger one.

dstuard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also is the fuel pump kit pretty easy to do?

Wide_One

Cadet

I am going to try and clean this tank out. I have read that there are sealers that will take care of any rust left on the sides. Can anyone tell me where I can get this?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

How many names are you posting under? Very confusing.....

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Hi Wide_One <br />Try doing a search on "Fuel Tank Cleaning" at the top of this page in red. There have been many posts about how to clean tanks. Some use BB's(Like in a BB gun) or nuts and bolts. Dump a box of them in your tank along with some denatured alcohol and go to shaking. Breaks up the rust and gunk in the bottom. Then just dump it out and let it dry before you install it. If you have a hard time getting all the BB's or Bolts out, just use a magnetetic pick-up tool to get them out.