Academy Motors

TXredfish

Cadet
I want to purchase a 25hp outboard. I've looked around at all the local dealers but time again Academy has the lowest price $2,099 yr 2003 (Mercury). I haven't asked about warranty or anything about repair or maintance at Academy. Before asking Academy, my question to you guys is it safe to buy a motor from Academy as opposed from a traditional boat/outboard retailer?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Academy Motors

Ahoy, TXredfish.<br /><br />Check iboats prices and warranty on new '02 Merc 25s. You can save about $400.<br /><br />This is the best place to buy an outboard.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

claytonr

Seaman Apprentice

I purchased a 9.9 horse Merc from them last year. They send all of your information to Mercury when you buy the motor. Mercury will then send your 1-year warrenty card to you. The only problem I had was that the guy at Academy wrote my serial number down wrong. After about a month of not hearing anything from Mercury, I had to call up Academy and get things straightened out. After that it's been easy motoring ever since.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

Academy is a very reputable business and you shouldn't have any trouble getting problems fixed. I would also suggest you check out iboats motors first.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Your Mercury warrenty will be honored by any dealer regardless of where you bought it. Also, if you buy new, you get the option of purchasing an additional 4 years of warrenty pretty cheap. This option remains open until the 1st year is up.

schulte64

Recruit

Hello,<br />Be wary of Mercs, especially the 25. My Neighbor and my friend each have a 25 merc, one a 99 and the other a 2000.Both guys have issues with starting and hard idle.

ehenry

Commander

I have a 99 model Merc 25 and have had absolutely no problems with it other than having the wrong prop for the application I was using the engine for. With proper care and maintenance it will last a long time.