15 hp 2 stroke Mercury versus Yamaha

avoncalling

Recruit
I am currently in the process of trading in a 2002 Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 stroke for either the Mercury or Yamaha and I can't make up my mind. The Mercury sells for $200 less than the Yamaha portable, has controls ( F-N-R) and tilt on the tiller and weighs about 6-7 lbs lighter than the Yamaha. But its not a Yamaha. I question the quality of the Mercury vs. Yamaha. Is there a real difference? The Yamaha requires a less oil/gas mixture ( 100:1) than the Mercury, though it weighs more and has slightly less displacement. Also revs about 500 rpm slower at WOT.<br /><br />Anyone have any ideas? The portable 2 stroke is for an Avon rover inflatable that I occasionally use for coastal treks. The Tohatsu, in my opinion, was slightly underpowering it at full throttle. Anyone with any experience with these motors? I'm leaning towards the Mercury but again theres that question of reliability.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 15 hp 2 stroke Mercury versus Yamaha

No problems with Mercury reliability as my 1969 9.8 and 1970 20HP can attest too. Still run strong even after abuse. Parts are readily availible even for those old motors. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Merc anyday.

avoncalling

Recruit

Thanks for the reply dmessy,<br />But do the Mercury outboards require more maintenance than say the Yamaha to keep them running over the years ie. replaced/rebuilt carbs or other parts for that matter?

NathanY

Commander

Ford Chevy, which one? Brand of the outboard does not matter, what matters is service after the sale. Is there going to be a problem getting warranty work if any done? Parts? Accessories? Is it close and convienant? These are what you have to look at. All outboards are pretty much the same, if you take care of them they will last longer than you, if you dont they will not last at all. I like Mercury, would not give 10 cents for a Yamaha, but that is because My dad was a merc master mech, and that is what I grew up with.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Avoncalling,<br />I have a 1995 Mercury 15 and a 1989 Yamaha 90, the little Merc has a lot of plastic compared with the Yam and is starting to show some wear.<br />I found water in the lower unit this fall and the tilt lock does not function properly, however it has had a hard life to date being used by 14 to 16 year olds. <br />I plan on giving it a complete overhaul this spring and bring it back to its former self.<br />If you will be the only on using the motor then the Merc will be fine.

Forktail

Ensign

Both good outboards. <br /><br />Here's some points of interest:<br /><br />The Yamaha is only available in a 15" shaft. The Merc is available in 15, 20, and 25".<br /><br />The Merc is 2.5 lbs lighter (15" shaft). Not really a factor.<br /><br />There is only a small (16 cc) difference in engine size. Not really a factor.<br /><br />The Yamaha does run 500 rpm slower, but it has a higher gear ratio at 2.08:1 compared to the Merc's 2.00:1. Doing the calculations both produce the same hp at the prop, but the Yamaha will produce slightly more torque. Prop for prop the Merc will be slightly faster because of the rpm, but the Yamaha should be able to pull a larger pitch prop. Thus propped right, speed will be about the same. A high-thrust prop is available for the Yamaha.<br /><br />Both are pre-mix with a 6 amp alternator.<br /><br />I think the Merc only has a 1 year warranty vs. Yamaha's 2-year. I may be wrong.<br /><br />The multi-function tiller handle on the Merc is nice. For you, price is better on the Merc.

11 footer

Lieutenant

I have a NOS 1990 15hp merc. I can't really say much eather way because I have only put 14 hours on it. It always starts in the first pull and has neaver let me down. My vote go's for merc.<br /><br />11

avoncalling

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies guys great detail on your report forktail. I am leaning towards the Mercury, it looks like reliability is not so much a concern but that water in the lower unit on that 1995 Mercury ( I think the design for this particular outboard hasn't changed for years), makes me a little worried. But again that can happen to any outboard thats used under harsh conditions.<br /><br />There are other factors I think that go into choosing a good portable outboard such as amount of vibration at the tiller handle, amount of smoke, noise levels, fuel consumption to name a few. Does anyone have any personal info on these factors as well. ( especially with that vibration at the tiller- always bothered me with the Tohatsu at WOT, wasn't malfunctioning I hear that's normal for some portables) I've heard that the Yamaha is pretty quiet and does a great job of buffering vibrations from reaching the tiller handle. There was an article I once saw on the Suzuki newssite that compared 5 or 6 portable 2 stroke kickers on a jonboat, I haven't been able to find that article since, but it did a nice job reviewing the 9.9's. The Tohatsu was suppossedly the sleeper in the bunch. Still a great engine just a little underpowered for my taste.

Jason123

Cadet

years ago we brought a 1989 15 hp mercury because a was a real merc fan. I hate to say but we had lots of problems with it breaking a casting on the shaft about 3 or 4 times. The last time the dealer reinforced the casting and it never gave the problem again. However we lost confidence and eventualy sold the engine. By contrast i know of a 15 yamaha of a similar year that was quicker and more reliable. I like a lot of mercs but in that hp size id go for the yammie any day. Could be wrong but I don't think theve changed much from about 89. Get the yamaha...