Mercury Super Thunderbolt Repair or Sell as is ?

unclemonkey

Recruit
I have acquired a Mercury Mark 58 Super Thunderbolt and I am going to resell it. I haven't decided if it's worth my time to repair it or sell it "as-is". Can anyone give me approximate values both ways ? As well, I wouldn't mind some expert advice on realistic time to restoration. Condition right now is that it looks good, it is a complete engine, however it is frozen up, I can't pull the starter at all. Thanks for any input.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mercury Super Thunderbolt Repair or Sell as is ?

If a complete overhaul is in order, I can tell you up front, you're not going to make any money on it. You'll easily put more into it than you're likely to get, even on eBay. Most folks who restore vintage motors do it for their own enjoyment, and VERY few make any money at it. <br /><br />Seized up can mean any number of things - bad lower unit, rusted crankshaft & bearings, stuck pistons, or any combination of those. None would be cheap to fix and you'd be unlikely to recoup your investment. <br /><br />Bottom line, unless you are looking for a learn-as-you-go project to tinker with in the basement this winter, let it go as is...<br />- Scott

unclemonkey

Recruit
Re: Mercury Super Thunderbolt Repair or Sell as is ?

Thanks for the info. I've got too many projects going as it is now. My investment in the motor is minimal which is why I was debating about it, but I think I will take your advice. My guess is considering the cosmetic condition of it is that its got rust which is causing the seizing but I guess I'll leave that up to the new owner. I've got a smaller Johnson sea horse I'm already tinkering with and the Mercury is too big for my boat anyway.