Lost top end speed after installing "Skeggard" skeg protector

twopars

Cadet
I'm wondering if anyone out there has installed a Skeggard skeg protector on their engines. I recently put one on my Merc 150 Optimax and now my top end has dropped almost 5mph! I was getting 65mph on my Nitro bass boat before the installation and now it tops off at 60mph. No other changes have been made. Anyone have a similar experience or any ideas? I can't believe that that little perpendicular wing on the bottom of that thing would cause that much drag.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lost top end speed after installing "Skeggard" skeg protector

Hmmmm. Interesting.<br /><br />I put SkegGards on several family boats and got zero difference.<br /><br />All of those were fishing/ cruising boats with 70 to 100 hp.<br /><br />Haven't heard about them on bassrockets before.<br /><br />Maybe on racing boats they make a difference. Hit a rock or stump at 65mph a SkegGard isn't going to save anything.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sloopy

Commander

did you remember to curve the front" the directions don't say so.. but it helps

Hooty

Rear Admiral

That's probably so, twopars, espically when you stop and think that the speedo pitot is costing you a mile or so a hour at the speed you are going.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

They work great on a small engine 100 hp or less. The higher hp I have seen it slow them down 2 to 5 mph. I take more of them off than I install.