mercruiser 140 will not plane out

WetWilly

Cadet
runs good out of water 1000rpm to 5000rpm but put it in the water 2000rpms is all it will do.it opens up out of gear but in gear it's like it bogs down and won't open up and plane out.thank you for any help!! :confused: :(

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: mercruiser 140 will not plane out

Zounds like a dead cylinder Willy. Put new factory plugs in and run around at wfo (2000 rpm) for 15-20 minutes, then stop and pull plugs look for a different one (wet,dry,black,etc.). When ya find the different one, let us know what it looked like.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

WetWilly

Cadet

Hooty,<br /> Thank you for your reply. That does sound like a winner. When idled low it kind of vibrates.I just put new plugs, points, condenser, and carb.They had no listing for plug wires is why I didn't replace them. It is basicly a 62 Chevy2 4 cylinder motor.Any further advice?confused:

D

DJ

WetWilly,<br /><br />Hooty is right on. I believe you have a cylinder going dead also. A cylinder under load is harder to fire than one unloaded. I think you need new plug wires too.

Trent

Captain

At idle.. Remove sparkplug wires one at a time and see if the engine changes RPM. Then replace. THe one that does not change is your problem.

WetWilly

Cadet

thanks for the advice going to try right now. does dead cylinder mean bad rings?

WetWilly

Cadet

sorry i did not know that you had to stay on same post. :D hooty

D

DJ

WetWilly, See your other post.

WetWilly

Cadet

I got the boat from a friend.I traded a truck for it.I took the boat out the first time last summer.It ran awful and would not plane out. Come to find out the engine coupling had broken the studs in the crank.I replaced that. Then,it would not even crank. So I replaced carberator. It started cranking at first then stopped. So then I replaced plugs, points and condenser, took it out , thought it was fine, come to find out it still would not plane out. At first I figured out 2 cylinders were not hitting. I was afraid of alot of evasive work to the motor was to be done, come to find out the previous owners did not have the plug wires in the wrong firing order. It's OK now thanks for all the advice everyone!!! :D