70hp Mercury, knocking sound.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a early '80s 70hp Mercury outboard, 3 cylinders. Motor runs good at higher rpm (2000 and above), but when idling it has a knock (like valve knock on truck engines) and idles a little rough. Compression is ok (110,120,105). I am currently using motor and find no problem with it, but I'd like to sell it for a bigger one and don't want to mess up anybody. I fugured if it's a rod, it should have blown off by now, I am using motor for past month.<br /><br />Other question: is this motor practically half of a 6 inline 140hp ? (same pistons, rods, rings, etc.) ?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Val

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70hp Mercury, knocking sound.

Any suggestions ?

petryshyn

Commander

Do a thorough decarb first.....if you are lucky, it may be carbon. May even be a reed.<br /><br />Try a decarb first....

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

What is a good decarb product. I tried Mystery Oil and didn't have much success.<br /><br />Val

Trent

Captain

Mercury and OMC both make a good decarb product. Also Berrymans B12 from Wal Mart or Seafoam from the autoparts works well.

Have you changed props lately? My 2002 90 Hp went from noisy with an aluminum prop to down right clangy bangy shakey when we put the stainless prop on. I have returned the motor and have a Yamaha on the way.

Valv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bought 6 bottles of B12, filled up motor, let it sit overnight, drained everything and....it did the job. Even freed a stuck ring (lower cyl was 105 instead of 120 like other 2).<br />Thanks guys, again.<br /><br />Val