testing stator

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class
model # OC106680<br />100 Mercury<br />What's the best way to check the stator on my merc ? The top two cyls are'nt firing so I started with the stator and the rear starboard side of the stator is leaking what looks like dried glue out of the pick-up.

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: testing stator

Can anyone at least tell me what year the motor is? Thanks

mooseo

Seaman Apprentice

I'm definitely not an expert, but am trying to troubleshoot a stator problem of my own.<br /><br />If you put an ohm-meter on the stator leads, you should get a resistence that you can look up in the manual to compare. If it is cooked (and it doesn't sound good to me) the resistance will probably we off the scale. You can also check for a short to ground, which is bad. But look in a manual to see the specified values.<br /><br />cheers,<br />mike

Trent

Captain

Its a 1989 model. Swap the coils around and see if the problem moves. If you have some firing, most likely is a powerpac problem. Look at the link for troubleshooting. Stuff comming out of the stator is not a good sign. Mercury Troubleshooting

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

And that dried-glue goo is something else! It's impervious to everything that don't desolve the stator, dist cap and other plastics.<br />I think it's one of those "merc part#yadayada water shield coating" or something, but it is a bear to remove.<br />It does repell water better than anything else,as it also does everything else.<br />I was going to mention the diostributor arangement, but I think that year doesn't have one. But it's obvious Merc used the same goo.

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

YOU SHOULD HAVE 4 WIRES OUT OF THE STATOR TO THE SWITCH BOX TWO ARE SOLID IN COLOR TWO WITH A STRIPE.GET A OHM METER @ ACROSS THE SOLID TAKE A READIND SAME ON THE STRIPE.

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the top two cyls do start firing once you get the rpm's up to about 4000

lonewolf5347

Chief Petty Officer

THE STATOR PUT OUT HIGH @LOW VOLTAGE.MY FORCE 120 WOULD NOT IDLE NO MATTER WHAT I DID .ONCE I GOT INTO GEAR AT HIGH SPEED IT RAN GREAT.WHEN BACK TO IDLE SPEED IT WAS OVER.TURN OUT TO BE THE STATOR.BUT IT IS EASY TO CHECK WITH A OHM METER.IF YOU NEED A STATOR AT A GOOD PRICE CHECK OUT www.seilermarine.com

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's what this one is doing . I kind of figured it was the stator . This all started when the fuel pump went south . Just a hole in the water.