Best way to clean up mess from Fire extinguisher

rob1066

Cadet
My voltage regulator on my Mercruiser 488 caught fire so I had to use my fire extinguisher on it. Now I have that white powder all over my engine and engine bay. I have thought to spray it all with degreaser and wash it off with a hose but I am concerned about my startermotor and stuff getting wet. has anybody got any ideas, a vacuum cleaner won't work because of the oil on the engine that has turned the powder to goo.

pmgrape

Cadet
Re: Best way to clean up mess from Fire extinguisher

Rob, <br />I'm a firefighter and the dry powder in extinguishers is EXTREMELY CORROSIVE. I'd try degreaser or soap and water ASAP. The best way is with a shop vac, but if it's stuck to the grease degrease right away and then flush with water to ensure all the dry power is gone. <br />The only other thing I could think of using is electrical parts cleaner, which is usually freon, and that usually works well on grease.<br />Good luck <br />Brian

rob1066

Cadet
Re: Best way to clean up mess from Fire extinguisher

Thanks pmgrape, I rushed to my boat with a shopvac, degreaser and a water spray can and everything is cleaned up. Fixed the problem and now the boats running great.