2001 Mercury Optimax Saltwater 225 hp

tecox

Recruit
I have a 2001 Mercury Optimas Saltwater series 225 hp and have had nothing but trouble with this motor, I have about 30 hours on it. The dealer has had it more than I have. Is it the dealer or the motor. I have it on a 24 foot Fishmaster center console and have rigged it up with downriggers. I can not get this motor to troll without fauling out anywhere within five minutes to two hours.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2001 Mercury Optimax Saltwater 225 hp

There are a few service bulletins on the trollability of this engine.If your dealer is not aware of them then I would suspect a dealer that won't read the mail that comes across his desk or pass this info on too his techs.The fix is easy and takes a couple hours and you will not be billed.We currently run that engine on our demo boat.Fish it in the evenings after work, and troll for hours for salmon.Before the upgrade we had symptoms similar to yours.I might also add that battery condition is crucial to these engines running right.If you are trying to run this on a battery that falls short of the reccomendations ,that could also be a source of your problems.

tecox

Recruit
Re: 2001 Mercury Optimax Saltwater 225 hp

I really appreciate the reply on this. I will call Mercury myself and see if they will give the info on these service bulletins. Thanks