Mercury QuickSilver 3000 Shifter troubles

JThomas15

Recruit
I pushed in the disengage button on controls to warm the motor and the button will not pop out; it is now stuck in neutral! Has anybody experienced this problem in the past, and if so, do they know how it can be fixed?<br /><br />Any information on how to disassemble the part would also be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thank you!

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury QuickSilver 3000 Shifter troubles

This ain't what you're lookin' for but start with getting a manual. When you're "goin' by the book" and get stuck, it makes it easier to talk ya through it.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

sparent

Recruit

I have this same exact problem. I am bumping this in hopes of getting some help.

I am pulling the controller apart in the mean time, but would love any advice I can get.

Thanks world!

heckmonkey

Cadet

I am also having this same problem w/ my US Marine Control Box its a 1991 going to a 91 force 150? The dang Neutral Saftey Switch / Warm Up Button is stuck in, and wont release?

I also have the same problem. Happened as I was fishing below a dam. Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers....

I have a Design II control box.

I took the control box apart using the online service manuals listed elsewhere on this site (under Adults Only). The part that the neutral button pushes in on became stuck. Basically, the shaft that the handle mounts to becomes warn by the 2 ball bearing that seat the handle in the idle position. The wearing got to the point where it pushed the inner ball bearing into the shaft that houses the neutral button. Badda-boom, the neutral button sticks.

In my research, it appears that this shaft part is no longer made (p/n 883699). Can any of the experts confirm? Is this thing worth repairing? If not, do you recommend a good swap out control box?