Mercury 8 hp jumps out of gear???

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a late 80's 8 hp mercury outboard. The motor only has around 30 hours on it total. It starts and runs fine. Goes into gear smooth. But when I am about half throttle it kicks out of gear back into neutral. Reves up high and I have to turn the motor off. Clutch dog???/ Any ideas would help.... No shifter on the motor it is all done within the tiller arm from back to forth!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury 8 hp jumps out of gear???

My guess is also a clutch dog and maybe forward gear.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Clutch dog is a good bet but there is still linkage from the tiller to the l/u.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class

There dosnt look like there is an adjustment for the shifter.... I am assuming since it only has 30 hours on it and ws used very little maybe something was messed up to begin with??? I think it would be the clutch dog??? Any other possibilities???

sloopy

Commander

some times its always the clutch dog :) I run through them faster then your children run through candy!

Bear

Lieutenant Commander

From the tiller handle there is two thottle cables to the shift linkage. There is no shift cables from the tiller handle.<br />#1 Tiller handle:<br /> http://www.dolleroffshore.com/parts_archive/MERMAR/811286/31.gif <br />#2 Throttle and shift linkage:<br /> http://www.dolleroffshore.com/parts_archive/MERMAR/811286/9.gif <br /><br />I don't think the pictures are any help. But I think your pop out of gear can be adjusted. I have the same model (1987). When I bought it and tryed it on my boat there was no real power at wot. Took a look at the linkage, took it apart and reasembled. I had power at wot, until I put it in neutral or reverse. Then the same thing again. Took it apart several times again and 30 minutes later :mad: I found out that one joint was almost stuck. Sanded the plastic, cleaned and greased it and it works fine. Well, that is not the same problem you have. I think there is someting about the linkage. Take a good look at it.<br /><br />Good luck! :)