High Speed stall!

bluesnow6

Recruit
I have a 1999 Mercury 125 that I recently purchased. When giving 1/2 to full throttle, the motor runs fine for about 10 to 15 seconds and then stalls back to idle. I can get right back up again but stalls back every time. Have had a new high speed stater installed and rebuilt fuel pump, however the problem still exists. Any suggestions? Thanks!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: High Speed stall!

Check the fuel system for air leaks, bad primer bulb, clogged fuel pickup, etc. Does motor RPM pickup by pumping primer bulb or does bulb remain hard?

Disturbed1

Recruit
Re: High Speed stall!

This is the exact same problem I am having with my motor. Yes, when the bulb is pumped the motor will pick back up and run like it should....for a few seconds and then back to idle speed. I replaced all the fuel lines (3/8" was existing, so that's what I put back on), tank selector valve, priming bulb and fuel filter. You can see the fuel in the in-line filter and it does not seem to be any air leaks. It seems more like a vacuum because the bulb collapses a bit. This is on an older Ranger boat, with a 1981 115hp Merc. Do you think the fuel lines are adequately sized? Fuel pump need rebuilt? I also removed and drained one of the tanks....it appears to be really clean inside and the fuel pickup tube is clean and nothing clogged in it.