1972 Mercury 850 -- How to change shifter cable

TomShif

Recruit
I'm completely new to boat engine work...I just bought my first powered boat (have enjoyed sailing for years). <br /><br />However, a few days ago, the shifter cable broke and I finally got the right cable (long story). Now I'm trying to get the old one out. I see that there is a little clip that holds the throttle cable and shifter cables in place, but when I try to open this clip to remove the old shifter cable, it doesn't open wide enough. <br /><br />I have only removed the clamshell cover (I think that's the right name). Do I have to remove more of the case? If so, any advice on where I can find how to do this? I have the shop manual for this engine, but it doesn't show how to remove the case, and I'm a little nervous about just taking bolts out and trying them...I don't want the thing to completely fall apart. <br /><br />Any assistance would be very much appreciated! <br /><br />Tj<br />tommy@shiflet.com

Re: 1972 Mercury 850 -- How to change shifter cable

HI Tom,<br /><br />I have changed them one or twice in the past. The best advise I can give you is remove that clip, then get as much slack as you can between the inner cable and cable casing if the break did not do this for you(using the cable tension screw) and try to slide the catch on the cable sideways and then pull out. This is assuming your connection is like mine was. <br />PS saw your boat on the SS message board. Looks nice. Does this mean a new fishing game may be in the works for the future??<br /><br />Good Luck,<br />Phil Livewell.

TomShif

Recruit

Hey, Phil...thanks! <br /><br />I'll try removing the clip, I actually didn't even think about removing the entire clip. I'm still a little tentative about messing around with this stuff. <br /><br />We're currently not working on a fishing game, too busy cranking on the new DH and BH games...but I've heard rumors that one might be in progress from somebody else. Not sure how true that is though...<br /><br />Thanks again for your response!<br /><br />Tj

TomShif

Recruit

Phil, thanks again for your help. After messing with that clip for a while, I discovered that the clip was built to come apart...hehe...someone was using the ol' noodle on that one! <br /><br />Anyway, to make a long story short, I now have reverse, neutral and forward working and I even managed to put the throttle box (whatever its called) back to together with only a few pieces left over :) . <br /><br />Thanks again! <br /><br />Tj

Great Tom!! I'm glad you got her goin!!Now the hard part, go sit on a lake, have a beer and catch a few fish!! Let me know how ya make out.