Tachometer for Thunderbolt ignition

wolfedc

Recruit
I recently bought a Teleflex Marine Tach from Cabellas the catalog claimed the it would work with all electric start motors. The problem is that the instructions don't include my motor a 79 Mercury 80 hp with thunderbolt ignition can anyone tell me how to install this tach with my motor? The tach also has setting that are based on how many magnetic poles the alternator has does anyone know how many this motor has?<br /><br />Someone has said that a special tach is required for this motor does anyone know where I can get one?<br /><br />Thanks in advance<br /><br />David

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Tachometer for Thunderbolt ignition

www.tflx.com/PDF/99320.pdf is the tech support link that gives trouble shooting tips and wiring instructions. I don't know if it is more complete than what came with the tach.<br /><br />Bob

wolfedc

Recruit

Thanks for the reply Bob! Unfortunately they are the same instructions that came with the tach.

sho305

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just put one on my '73 Merc and it went right on the alternator wire hooked to the rectifier. The instructions explained it for mine. Can you get a hold of Teleflex? I checked it with a tester and it was even right on rpm wise.