89 Bayliner "L" Drive is now my Winter Project

Anybody familiar with these "L" drive Bayliners? Mine was rebuilt about 4 years ago. I bought the boat 2 years ago and it ran great, until this year - the motor is seized up. I'm putting it back in the garage and will have to pull off the 85 h.p. Force Powerhead & either have it rebuilt again or attempt to fix it myself. I just bought a smaller, older boat with a 50 Merc to use this summer (too good a buy to pass up). Anyone with experience or ideas could be helpfull.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 Bayliner "L" Drive is now my Winter Project

I want to make it clear Im not an expert on<br />Force, Bayliner or L drives. I have been messing with boats for 53 years.<br /> Ive read a lot of posts on Bayliners,Force and<br />l drives.I always hoped Force would make it in the big time.<br /> Your boat has 3 strikes against it Bayliner,<br />Force and L drive.The one plus I see is you havent put more money into it yet.<br /> Seriously E/J have been building motors for almost 100 years,Merc> for 60+ Force for 15<br /> Just compare the number of posts.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not infavor of the Force engine, but Force is the old Chrysler engine, so they have been around longer than 15 years.<br /><br />Craig

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Force (88 and earlier) is Chrysler which is basically derived from West Bend in the 60's. But I doubt FWboater cares much about that. I would think the cheapest way (I wouldn't put much money in that setup) would be to find a used force or chysler 3 cyl powerhead and swap out. Then hang on to the electronic of your old powerhead because those motors tend to eat their powerpacks. You should be able to find one for under $500. I've seen a complete running force 85 for $200.