How do I test a starter solenoid?

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
How do I test a starter solenoid?<br />I am helping a friend, and he has a 1983 40hp merc. The motor has not been started in two years and when we went to start it, it did not even make a click. The battery is new and when I jump the two big terminals on the solenoid it turns over freely. When I left the key in the on position it started right up …….and when I turned it back it shut off.<br />I want to test the solenoid to make sure it is not the ignition switch before we buy anything. I am assuming that the little wires that go to it, one must be power and one ground. <br />Thank You!!!!

Dewey

Seaman
Re: How do I test a starter solenoid?

well my starter solenoid has for terminals and the mounting bracket is the ground. To test mine i would send a charge to one of the small terminals, the one that had the lead from the switch, and it would click. Then current would pass from both one big terminal to the other. I would test this with a voltmeter. Place it on the big terminal that is not from the battery (the one that conects to the starter) there should be no voltage hot wire the small terminal it should click and now the voltmeter should read 12 or so volts of the big terminal. Good luck and i hope this helps.