How do I replace my timing belt on a 1976 Mercury 115?

Massey

Cadet
I have taken my engine down from the top so far, and I've come across the fan belt that runs from a pulley on the top of my crank shaft under the flywheel to a pulley on the top of my distributor cap. I've looked in my manual and I can not for the life of me understand how to get this fan belt to go over the pulley under the flywheel??? I've removed as much of the engine as I can to get down to the pulley wheel itself, and I just can't remove anymore unless I'm talking about removing the entire crankshaft....I think? The belt is small, maybe 20 inches in length, and is broken, freyed, unuseable, have to get a new one. Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to get this thing on there? Please help! Major

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do I replace my timing belt on a 1976 Mercury 115?

Major,<br /><br />You have to pull the flywheel. When the flywheel comes off you can see that the pulley is attached to the bottom side of the flywheel.<br /><br />To pull the flywheel you should use a flywheel puller - that you can buy from your Mercury dealer for about $30. First you might want to try gentle persuasion to see if the flywheel will come off easily.<br /><br />With the flywheel removed you can slip the new belt in place. You have to position the belt so the flywheel will drop in place while installing the belt at the same time. Try to hook the belt over the pulley as you drop it in place. Be patient, this can be a pain, just make sure you do not crush the belt.<br /><br />The top of the distributor has an arrow (under the top cover) that must be aligned with a point on the flywheel for correct timing. I hope you have a service manual that will show you how to accomplish this part. I do not know how your engine looks but mine (a 1972 model) has three vertical dots on the edge of the flywheel. When you install the belt the arrow will not point exactly straight at the marks - it must be slightly to CCW (counter clock-wise) of the three vertical marks. This accounts for directional rotation that tightens the belt slightly when the engine is running. If you install the belt one tooth off, the engine will run poorly.<br /><br />Good Luck, Gold Bear ;)