Mercury Outboard engine problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpiar

Recruit
I am new to fishing and I just encountered a problem. I have a 1978 bass boat with a 1978 Mercury 150hp V6 engine. It was running great until I ran into a sand barge. No damage done anywhere on the prop, however, when I pulled it out, the engine runs fine, but it has lost all its power and barely gets enough speed to move. <br /><br />Is something blocked? Please help... Mercury

bp21

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercury Outboard engine problems

Friend of mine had a similar problem a few years ago. He buried his lower unit in a couple feet of mud and sand and ended up sucking up some gunk into his water pump. Long story...anyway...some of the sand ended up in a couple carbs and he had to have them bored out in order to get the engine running properly again. Don't know if that is your problem but I wouldn't rule it out.

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awws*****t. I am assuming you didnt have a temp guage on the boat. Yep chances are you sucked enough sand into you cooling system to make one or more cylinders too hot due to constricted circulation. I know a guy that this happened to also but he sucked in some mud when he ran into a mud bank. In his case no alrms went off either but he lost the motor.<br /><br />Another thing that could have happened is that you hit the thing and you spun the engine main and one/more rod bearings.<br /><br />Two guesses. My bet is the first one. Have it flushed and looked at. I hope it isnt too late.<br /><br />Deerdog

ehenry

Commander

You say engine runs fine. Will it build RPM's and just not move??? Maybe you spun the prop hub. That sometimes won't show up on the prop where you can see it. Hope that what your problem is.

Saperry

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I replied to your post under boating.<br />Any way my bet is on the prop hub (see post)<br />Good luck..

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I guess I ought to read the posts better. I saw no power and didnt see engine runs fine. I would also agree that you may have a spun or partially spun prop. Still need to make sure it is flushed out though.<br /><br />Deerdog

trimixdiver

Recruit

Hi all I just found this forum!
I am planning on taking my Hains Sigiture out tomorrow, what I do is start up the engine so I know all will be fine tomorrow at the boat ramp, but came agross a problem with my 175 hp outboard engine won't start , It just won't kick over I have plenty of battery power!

Would there be someone that can help me fix the problem so I can plan a day out boating tomorrow please?

OH yer hello to all.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy trimixdiver.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Please do not hijack old threads. Not good forum manners.

Start another new thread and give us more info. . .model of your engine, what the actual symptoms are, etc.

Good luck. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.