Spun the prop?

74FABUGLAS

Cadet
I have a 1981? Mercury 50 hp (sn5799170) that let me down today. Motor suddenly went to very high rpm's and boat stopped. Pretty sure that I didn't hit anything. Someone told me that I may have spun the prop. I pulled the prop and found some rubber shavings and the splines looked OK (I guess) Can a "spun prop" cause the symptom I described? Do I need to replace the source of the rubber shavings? Do I need to replace the prop?<br />As a matter of fact, this is my first boat.<br />Thanks,<br />Rod :confused:

agefhx

Cadet
Re: Spun the prop?

I have a 1974 fabuglass too ! just a few more parts and i can get it in the water. Hmmm whats your location? :) Take your prop to the shop should fix you up.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Spun props will produce exactly those symptoms. There is a rubber hub between the splines and prop body that will shear upon impact with the bottom or submerged objects. You can either take the prop to be re-hubbed, or buy a used/new one. Either way, keep a spare aboard.

74FABUGLAS

Cadet

Spun prop it is!! My 12 degree prop wasn't worthy of a rebuid, but I found a used 15 degree in very good condition. Made a world of difference. My old prop must have taken a beating. Thanks for the input. :)