What year did Mercury buyout Force

bayliner89

Cadet
I have an 1988 Force 125HP motor, and was wanting to know if it was built by Mercury or US Marine or who? :)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Re: What year did Mercury buyout Force

believe it was US Marine throughout the '80s. I'm curious, though, about your need to know. Force and Chrysler parts are generally available through Mercury dealers and shops. Do you have in mind a quality control issue?

bayliner89

Cadet

oldboat1,<br />More of an quality control issue than anythings eles. Just bought a used boat with this motor and wanted to know the track history of Force. Are they dependable motors? I took it to a local repair shop and he said that he don't work on Force motors. Are they that much different than say a Mercury etc.?

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty sure it was in late 1988. I have an 89 Force 150 and my buddy at the shop tells me that 89 was a wierd year as the changes began to take place. <br /><br />AS far as the reliability.....they are rather crude in the technology but that makes them pretty easy to maintain and that is what they need. Keep them taken care of and it should serve you well. There are alot of folks that bash them but I have seen just as many problems with other motors as Force.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />Deerdog

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

my 96 force 75hp is just like the classic 75 mercury? I was told the same crap Force thats why you got a good deal on the boat. Well my boat was better than there new Sylvans and 65% less money. They do have a bad rap but the newer ones work fine.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Force production was moved to Fond du Lac [mercury] in 1993....

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

my new fishmaster, your 75 is not just like the Mercury 75, Your motor is rated at the crankshaft while Mercury is rated at the porp. Force is nothing but an old Chrysler that was worked over a little bit. Mercury has dropped the Force line cause it is old technology and is not worth the money it would take to bring it up to today's standards.<br /><br />Craig

Joe S.

Seaman Apprentice

My buddy owns a Vessel Assist boat here in the Seattle area. He once told me that 95% of the outboard powered boats he pulls in are Force. My only experience with a Force wasn't good either. My neighbors bought a Bayliner new and on the first trip out (I was with them) it broke down. This was an 85HP Force. So based on my experiences I'd have to say you pay for what you get.

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought boat with a 87 force 85 on it. Both power packs were bad. Rebuilt ones from Rapair were $250 a piece. I sold the motor for $350 to guy who needed the lower unit and now run a V6 merc.<br />From what I've read and have been told forces' are low tech motors that are basically somewhat reliable, but before merc took over they had weak electronics and especially weak lower units. If I still owned one I'd buy a spare lower and find a cheap spare powerpack, stator, and coil and use the best quality oil I could get.

I have a used 1998 Triton with a 1998 Force 120. I faithfully maintain it, use good oil, and have had no problems with it in the last year. I have heard the bashing of the Force engine, but have heard as many problems with other engines as I have Force. ;)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

Fisher83 -- looks like you got a pretty good set of responses. Mention "Bayliner" or "Force" and you will stir up some action. I haven't owned a Force, but I've had a couple of '70s Chryslers (actually just bought a third). I'm more of an OMC fan, but parts are generally available for Chrysler/Force, either through scrounging the used parts market or going through Mercury dealers. I find it's possible to get a lightly used Chrysler (and probably a Force) for a good price, and they aren't terrible to work on -- recommend stocking up on used parts, and maybe buying a parts motor or two if you are serious and have the space (and a cooperative wife -- or at least a reasonably patient one.)