Replace Water Impeller 9.8 Merc. Please !

Red De Braal

Seaman Apprentice
Just bought 9.8 Merc trolling motor water flow weak (little pisser hose) when down on low idle. Please give me instruction as to how to change it. I can do it if its not brain surgery ! The walleyes are wating !!<br />Thanks Red !!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Replace Water Impeller 9.8 Merc. Please !

I'll try, but you will probably need the manual for this job.I csn tell you, there is a bolt in back,one in front,and one allem bolt under the zinc. I maen,What year is she?<br />But without the manual, that might not make much sense to you so far. The gear shaft is splined into the lower unit,and sometimes, this binds.

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Walleye Red,<br />It's not difficult to change the impeller, but if you have never changed one before I would strongly recommend that you buy a service manual. They are not expensive and will give you the step by step instructions on that and any other maintenance you need to perform.<br />I have a 15 hp Merc that I acquired last year and I thought the same thing about the poor water flow at idle. Changed the impeller and checked everything and it was still the same, however the motor is not overheating so I assume that's how it's supposed to be.

Red De Braal

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks 12 & Canada but I need more Now. Just tell me I can do it! Heres my email let me Know.<br />debraal@vbe.com <br />Thanks Again Red !!