• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.
  • **** The forums will be undergoing maintenance tonight approximately 9:30pm-midnight MDT. Thank you for your patience during this time. ****

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone elseís thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

5. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when itís posted at the end of someone elseís thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread.

7. Posting at the end of any thread is considered to be hijacking the original posters thread which in turn subjects the thread to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive thread asking you not to reply to old threads. The Red banner will read: Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

MERCURY SPORT JET 90 HP TOO SLOW

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MERCURY SPORT JET 90 HP TOO SLOW

Please someone help me. I have a bayliner jet jazz 90hp sportjet which will not go above 5 mph. Things I have done so far: Rebuilt carbs, compression 120-120-122, .032" clearance between impeller and housing, impeller looks great, new ride plate gasket, engine rpm's within spec. As you can see I have invested alot of money so far and any ideas no matter how small will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Re: MERCURY SPORT JET 90 HP TOO SLOW

Have you checked the rev limiter?

Comment

No I have not checked the rev limiter the rpm's seem fine 4000 or better engine sounds and runs great seems like problem is in the jet prop

Comment

sorry something else I wanted to say is I am open for ANY suggestions

Comment

rich, if you actually have the impeller hooked to the motor [no gear failure] the only thing that will cause you to make rpm's and not move is air in the inlet water stream of the pump....exhaust gas or air ...it is getting in there and screwing things up....

Comment

about the air thing... it is my last resort, but with the ride plate gasket making a good seal i cant figure any other way of air getting in there. is .032" clearance satisfactory for impeller to housing??? is there any time of slip device on the impeller? i can turn the impeller and feel the compression strokes of the engine with no slop or play.

Comment

Rich...There is a spline on the shaft that can shear if impeller gets jammed. Check the spline and the lock washer on the nut...Make sure these are ok and make sure the nut is properly torqued. I think the torque specs call 18ft.lbs...Impeller clearance should be .020-.030, .032 should be fine.just a Thought

Comment

rich, one other possibility: is the reverse gate locking properly in the forward position? if it kicks back ya won't go. but my best guess is the key on the drive shaft is broken and the pieces can jam up and let you turn the motor.john

Comment

About the spline on the impeller, I thought about that but the shaft is actually a threaded rod in which the impeller screws directly on the shaft so there is no option for slippage on that part the gate thing sounds like a possibility but the gate is staying up and out of the way of the nozzle. I am back to thinking possibly the drive plate gasket how well of a seal is needed??? Is there any other way for air/exhaust to enter the intake and cause the pump to cavitate???

Comment

The reverse gate needs to be up and out of the way of the nozzle to work doesent it??? It seems like the boat just doesnt want to plane off.

Comment

Thursday 4/18/02 put a little silicone rtv gasket maker on ride plate gasket seemed to do better for about 3 minutes in water then went back to her old self... Could the ride plate gasket be giving me all of this grief??? The gasket looks fine any suggestions anyone???

Comment

Yes rich, ride plate gasket/ ride plate itself will cause this...have seen many ride plates 'sneezed' off the bottom of the pump by people starting them up out of water...recheck all fasteners on the plate, caulk the gasket to eliminate any leaks between plate an hull, it has to be a PERFECT water tight seal....

Comment

Ok got new ride plate gasket today $57.00 not to bad but in stock got it on the boat put boat in water boat is better but not the best she will do 20 at best it just doesnt seem right for a mercury 90 with a 14' boat, could I be wrong??? If someone has their opinion on this boat I would greatly appreciate it. And thank you guys for all of the input so far it has helped alot

Comment

I have a regal rush 1994 , same mercury 90 hp . I just got it. I tested it in the bay and seems to go too slow. mileage metter broken. I will try the same thing put a gasket to see if it goes faster. When I hit the trottle it makes a noise like the impeller runs out of water. I will keep you posted on the results.

Comment

Rich...last jazz I fixed ride plate on an 'Adjusted' the trim......42 mph....with a 90 SJ...you got a ways to go....

Comment

Working...
                              X