no water coming out of **** tube

flyrod3

Recruit
I have a 1998 Mercury/Force 75Hp ELPT outboard. I just started it up for the first time this season and no water would come out the **** tube. Last year it seamed to take along time before it would start pissing and im assuming it just takes awhile for the stat to open. but this year nothing. Any ideas on what i should do or could be the problem would be appreciated.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: no water coming out of **** tube

The impeller must be changed-out, as well as the thermostat. If this engine has seen any salt water use, it must be flushed as soon after runnin as possable, or the ports will corrode.This is a white grit that would've been visable last year when it finally did expell water,even if it was a small amount.<br />The impeller should be considered as a "normal wear" item, just as tires on a car. It's just a matter of time,and it's going to fly appart or wear-out.....Usuall 2 years normal use.<br />Welcome to iboats.I advise you to purchase the manual ,if you plan on doing this yourself.It is a money-saving thing to change out yourself, but I wouldn't attempt it without having the manual at hand. It will pay for itself.

ray21

Seaman

when you talk about starting it up for the first time this season...was it on muffs or in the water? forces don't pee very much to begin with, even in water. if it was on muffs, did it appear to be sucking plenty of water from the inlets? check the telltale to make sure the holes are free of any debris. it will take some time for the thermostat to open...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

And what Ray said about Forces not peeing much is very true. They "sputter" out of the exaust ports holes, a spray, like it had a mouthfull of sea water, and someone told it a joke.