1989 Mariner 30 hp

TSomi396

Recruit
This is my fisrt boat and motor and I am having problems with my motor, fouling out spark plugs, and having like a "spark knock" (you can feel the engine kick as it is running.) I have changed plugs (champion), numerous times have have gone back to NKG, with no difference. If anyone has an ideas or comments I would greatly appreciate it. I thank you in advance for any help<br /><br />Thanks

alcan

Commander
Re: 1989 Mariner 30 hp

Hello Huntinman<br /> Dose your motor have oil injection? It sounds like you might be getting too much oil. Maybe your float in the carb is stuck open. Allowing an over rich mixture. When you look at your plugs, are they black and sooty or wet with fuel? Do you have spark to both plugs? Is the choke funtioning properly? Let us know what you find.

fun123fun321

Cadet
Re: 1989 Mariner 30 hp

Hi Alcan,<br /> Can you please help me out? I just bought a CC boat with a 1993 mariner OB from a pivate party.<br />I took the boat for a test ride. It ran fine for about 45 mins. Then it started to lose power. The engine hesitate to pick up speed. at some point it would run fine then slow down. At first I thought it was a weak connection to the battery. I clean all the connections. Give it a test run again. The motor<br />was reallty weak. When I throttle all the way. the motor starts to shake and the rpm drop. after about 30mins moving the throttle up and down. The motor <br />react the same. At some point it would stall but starts right up. When I get home, I took the plugs out and it was sorta wet with some dark oil stain.<br />The motor is not oil injected. it have three spark plugs, power tilt, elec start.<br />Any help is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.