lost hole shot

dw711

Seaman
1982 merc 90 hp inline. I just recently developed a real rpm lag out of the hole I took my 21 pitch prop off(which was fine before)and replaced with my ski prop which is a 19 and usually launches the boat right out of the water.I pumped the primer ball while engine was struggling and the rpms shot right up great. Any ideas befor i start tearing into it ? remote tank,clean gas, clear line,working vent<br />thanks<br />dave

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: lost hole shot

dave, i'd say you've got fuel delivery problems if you can get results from squezzing the bulb, check the lines for leaks,if the bulb is old get a new one,lastly your fuel pump my need a kit,,,,,,jim

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Could be a fuel filter on the motor somewhere inline before or after the fuel pump, or as part of the pump itself. Also if the o-rings in the fuel connector are less than perfect it will tend to suck air through the fitting rather than draw it up from the tank.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your rpm lag is just out of the hole, try turning your idle air screws in about 1/4 to 1/2 a turn. If it runs fine on the top, it sounds to me like your a little lean at idle to 1500rpms. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck :D

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

I WOULD AGREE WITH ALL.<br />BUT CHECK YOU IDLE NOT IN BUT OUT.<br />SET YOUR IDLE TO THE RIGHT RPM<br />THEN RECHECK IF IT RIGHT THEN IF NOT<br />CHECK YOUR TIMINING ON LOW END AND HIGH END.<br />HOSE FOR LINKS AND THAT GAS AND THE ONES<br />IN YOUR ENGINE. :cool: <br />P.S. PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT WORK OUT.

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with kev, I had the same prob with my<br />Merc 1150. Opened adjust screws 1/4th turn, and that took care of the problem. Air in your fuel line can also really mess up fuel delivery. Even a fuel pump rebuild can be of help. Those old Mercs seem to be inefficient in the fuel delivery department. It can drive one a little batty..... :mad:

dw711

Seaman

thanks for the advice I'll let you know<br />thanks again dave