Mercury tilt problem

spinfreak

Cadet
OK...here's another question that someone might be able to help with.<br />On my starcraft, I have a 1984 150 hp Mercury Blackmax. The tilt works fine, except for when I leave the motor tilted up. After being tilted up, it starts to creep down slowly. It takes probably 20-30 minutes before it goes all the way down. There's no fluid leaking out or any other problems that I could see.<br /><br />It's no big deal, as it doesn't cause any problems for me. But I just wanted to find out about it. Is the problem something that I could fix easily, or would I have to have a mechanic fix it? If I can't fix it myself, would I be able to leave it the way it is, since it doesn't cause any problems for me, or will it cause further damage in the future?<br />~thanks~

tajones

Cadet
Re: Mercury tilt problem

I think there are some check valves in the trim that are probably leaking by. I don't know how handy you are but it will require taking the trim unit apart to fix it. It will probably get worse as time goes by.

Severest

Recruit

I have a 1985 Blackmax 150hp which is doing the same thing, but not as bad. It'll stay up on the trailer but when I'm running I'll trim the engine up and the prop force is enough to cause it to trim down again. Did you investigate this and get a result? My mechanic is quoting a lot of cash to service the ram. Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> if you dont have the tools to dissaseble the caps and the training in hydraulics I would have to recomnment take it to a pro. can be several problems. <br /> if you wish to buy the factory service manual and 600 worth of tools its a good deal. <br /> good luck and keep posting