Electric fuel pump??

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well no I need a new fuel pump for my Merc.<br />100 bucks. I was gonna put a electric fuel pump on it,(much cheaper). Any ideas about it? The manual says 5-6.5psi so thats not a problem. The only thing I'd have to do is make a block off plate. Off hand I can't think of a reason not to do it...am I over looking something?<br />Thanks again

Boatman30

Cadet
Re: Electric fuel pump??

Firewood,<br />Take your f/pump off and replace the dighram in it. Might cost a whole 10.00 <br />Not a hard job either.<br />Best of luck.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It will work -- we do it all the time on race boats but there are a few things to understand. Wherever you put the pump the lines will be under pressure from that point on. Most fuel delivery systems are designed to have the fuel pulled thru them not pressured thru them. Any small fuel leak or weeping you may get becomes a stream.<br /><br />Keep in mind that in an emergency if the cutoff switch is pulled the pump will contine to run. The Coast Guard and your insurance company frown on that.<br /><br />The electric fuel pumps on fuel injected motors are tied to some sort of back up shut off device like a float switch or tied into the oil pressure (4 cycle).<br /><br />If for some reason the pump blows fuel past the needle and seat you can pump a gallon of fuel out in a very short time. And in a very confined space. Ever seen a hood blow off in an explosion?<br /><br />I would try the 10.00 diaphram first. But that's just me.<br /><br />Good luck!

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercruiser has been running electric fuel pumps on and off for years. From my experience in the parts business I would stick to the mechanical pump. I have seen to many electric pump failures.<br />****

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did some shopping around at the local marine store and my automotive store. I had descided to go with a new mechanical for 70 bucks. I didn't know I could replace the diaphram in it. Merc doesn't sell the diaphram, you have to buy the whole unit. Where or who do I get it from? or is it just not available for my model?.In the mean time I dissassebled my old one, nothing looked wrong, (the diaphrams had no holes but they did look less then new) I put it back together and what do you know it works! I ran the engine for a few minutes. Now I havn't had a chance to put a pressure gauge to see if its maintaining pressure while I rev the motor, but its a start. I'd really like to replace the internal parts of the pump if possible. Just a matter of getting them.<br />Thanks for the feed-back<br />Ken

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year is your Merc? I have never had trouble finding a rebuild kit. Could it be a greedy dealer?????

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a 1986 MCM190, 4cyl, 224 cui. If you could locate a rebuild kit for me that'd be great. Like I said the old seems to be working but I'd feel better if I rebuilt it.<br />Thanks again

Boatman30

Cadet

You might try a local auto parts store. NAPA is usually pretty good about outboard parts. Auto stores often carry Sierra (aftermarket) or some other company of the same business.<br />If you dont find a diaghram or kit. Let me know I can get ya one.<br /><br />Boat

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the offer. I copied the number off the box before I returned the new pump. My auto parts guy should be able to set me up then. But if not, I'll take you up on your offer. I really appreciate it.<br />Thanks<br />Ken

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boatman30,<br /> Looks like I'm gonna have to take you up on your offer. I went down to my auto parts store and He said he's not showing a rebuild kit for my pump.The pump I had bought and returned was a Fedral-Mougal Carter. Model# M60337.<br />Mercuiser 1986 4cyl. 224 cui. <br />Thanks again.<br />Let me know how you'd like me to pay for it.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Boatman might be assuming you had an outboard, not an I/O. I doubt you'll find a rebuild kit for your pump. A new mechanical marine fuel pump is your best bet.

Firewood

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh, Now it all makes sense.That sounds more like it, I've rebuilt O/B fuel pumps numerous times, but never an I/O or and automobile pump for that matter. I think I can manage to save up 80 bucks by next spring.LOL I'd like to say thanks to everyone and Boatman30, It was an honest effort.