Mercury/Force

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I heard one of the Mercury motors is desighned like the force motor. Is this motor a 130 or a 135 or am I completely wrong?

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercury/Force

Mercury got the Force line when the purchased Bayliner Boats. The last few years the Force motors have "By Mercury Marine" on the side below the Force Name. Mercury has dropped the Force line as of this year I believe.<br /><br />Mercury has a 130hp 4-stroke that is the same as the Honda 130hp 4-stroke though.<br /><br />Hope this helps<br /> :)

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the reply Merc140, I was told by one of the dealers I had talked with, that one of the Mercurys 2stroke was the same as a force only with a mercury name. The were suppose to have built this motor to help sell the Force after they bought them.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Am thinking of trying a boat with a 125 Mercury, Is this a good motor? or have they had any major problems with this motor that anyone knows of. I know the Merc has a good name just wondering about this motor, one of the used boat salesmen told me to watch out for one of the merc motors because it was basically a Force and I can't remember which motor it was.

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

was told this evening by a Merc dealer that the 125 classic is the same as the Force

trevorcday

Petty Officer 1st Class

Merc and Force motors are not the same. The 125 is the same as the Merc 115. The Force motors all used powerheads that were different from the merc's. The force powerheads were all derived from the old Chrysler motors. Some of the last Forces built used Merc legs and lower units but for the most part this stuff was Chrysler based also.<br /><br />The 125 is a good motor, good bang for the buck.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

mrmerc is correct:<br /><br />Also, the Force line waa rated at the crankshaft for HP, while the Merc/Mariner are rated at the prop. The Merc 100, 115, and 125 are 4 cylinder motors that run on two below (I believe) 1800 RPM's and then the other two join in. The Force/Chrysler engines were (I believe) 5 cylinders. If you look at the specs on both Mercury and Force for the same HP, Example is 90 hp) the CID (Cubic Inch Displacement) is not the same. The "Sport Jet" 90 is a Force powerhead not a Mercury like it's advertised.<br /><br />Hope this clerifies this a little more.<br /><br />Craig :)

wimpie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the Replies, I have really been confused on this subject I guess !!