91 75hp Mariner, No Shift.

snookaddict

Recruit
Last time out the motor started banging and clanging so I shut it off and got towed in. 4 months later I have replaced all pistons, rods, bearings, seals, etc. Reassembled the motor and got it running great, but now it stays in Forward gear. It will not shift to neutral or reverse. Motor was shifting fine before powerhead problems. Took lower unit off and turned the drive shaft while slowly turning the shift rod and I can't feel that it is doing anything. Can this happen from sitting for 5 months and it just needs to be ran? Can't afford a new one please help. :(

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 91 75hp Mariner, No Shift.

Try this, Put the lower unit into reverse AND the control into reverse. If that doesn't fix it, then try both in forward gear. Hope this helps/works :D

snookaddict

Recruit

I haven't had the opportunity to run the motor for an extended period of time since the powerhead rebuild. I can only run it in forward now and even with the motor running when I shift the controls to reverse or neutral the motor is still in gear. Disconnected the shift cable and rotated the shift rod freely and still no change. When in neutral should the prop spin freely without clicking in both directions? <br />Thank You.

omctech

Seaman

Your problem is in your lower unit. Try taking the lower off, and with a pair of pliers, shifting manually into neutral. The prop will spin freely in both directions. Then shift back into forward. Your lower will ratchet in both directions.(make noise) With the lower in forward, shift your control box to full forward and reinstall your lower unit. This should eliminate your problem.