mercury won't cut off

esincl40

Cadet
First I couldn't get the engine to fire,problem was the wiring in the control <br />box.It was all naked from age.I wired a johnson control box which wasn't to hard to do,but now the engine won't cut off.When the switch is turned off nothing stays hot in the wiring except the main wire on the solenoid<br />(which is supposed to be hot)so how do I get it stop?Ain't that how it goes.I told my Father in Law "Hey you said you wanted me to get to run,now you want to get it to cut off"<br />He just laughed.I truly enjoy picking at Him.<br />So help my make him happy.<br /> Thanks<br /><br />------------------

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice
Re: mercury won't cut off

In the OMC remote, the black/yellow stripe wire is the kill wire. I believe the marine electrical color code is pretty much standardized "now". But, by the sound of it, your older Merc (frayed wires) may have a different colored kill wire to the pack or distributor.

esincl40

Cadet
Re: mercury won't cut off

Thanks Big Rod,<br /> I hooked up the black/yellow wire and it <br />did the trick.When I talked to the man at the <br />boat shop when I first got the idea to wire <br />the johnson box to the mercury motor and he said it couldn't be done,then he said that it <br />would take at least two days to wire it.It took me about 3/4 of a day(except for the kill wire). I see that you're from Louisiana,<br />I'm from South Carolina and we Southern Boys<br />do things a little better and quicker than <br />anybody else.<br /><br />------------------