McGard Prop Lock

Gary Tuthill

Cadet
Hello: I just bought a McGard Prop Lock for my '82 90HP Merc with a 19" stainless steel prop. Following the instructions, it installed easily but I'm concerned about the removal of the locking washer. It's the one with the tabs that bend into the slots to prevent the prop nut from spinning off under vibration. In a nutshell, the McGard bypasses that and just spins the supplied prop nut onto the shaft. While the setup makes it (somewhat) theft proof I'm concerned that it may spin loose when running. I can check it everytime I take the boat off the lift if I remove the rear plastic cup but this seems a poor solution to me. Essentially, does anyone have experience with these things? I suspect I'm concerned over nothing but having a prop that no one pilfers on the lift but spins off while running is actually a worse scenario. Thanks. <br />Gary Tuthill <br />Virginia, MN<br />'82 Glastron SSV-151<br />'82 Merc 90HP L6

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: McGard Prop Lock

I was a little concerned myself when I bought it too. But I've had it on for over 5 weeks now and I checked it recently and it's still tight. As you probably noticed there is a simple washer that goes in before the nut so I assume that it does the job of making sure the lock nut stays on.<br /><br />Don't worry about! Relax in knowing that your Stainless Steel prop is safe from theft.