25hp Mercury/Tracker overheating....

2stroker

Recruit
I have a 1999 Mercury/Tracker 25 hp that has about 115 hours on it. <br />The exhaust manifold cover gasket failed on the rear/lower portion and a pencil lead stream of water was squirting out.<br />I presume this was probobly caused by a blocked inlet pickup (heavey weeds) while trolling at night. <br />I removed the gaskets, cleaned the areas well and reinstalled new manifold and cover gaskets then torqued the bolts to spec.<br />Upon testing the motor for watertightness using hose and muffler I noticed the water exiting was very hot. The lower head/cylinder was cool to the touch while the upper head/cylinder was very hot.<br />This doesn't seem right, shouldn't both cylinders be in about the same heat range?<br />Does anyone know if this is how this motor operates? Any help is very appreciated.<br />Thanks,<br />-2stroker (switching to 4 soon)

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: 25hp Mercury/Tracker overheating....

Did you replace the impeller? If the cover gasket failed to overheating, the impeller may have been cooked a bit in the same incident. You may have inadequate water flow now. How strong of a stream is coming from the tell-tale? It should be nice and warm not scalding hot.