Mercury Quicksilver Shifter Problems

Bryan

Recruit
I have a 1978 Mercury 1115 outboard on which I recently installed a new shifter/throttle assembly. It seems that the new shifter pushes the cables rather than pulling the cables like the old one did. Does anyone know how to remedy this or am I just screwed?

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury Quicksilver Shifter Problems

Hey Bryan it's been a long time so forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to mount your shifter on either the starboard or port side? If so, perhaps you've got your cable attaching points reversed at the shift controller. Hopefully you have the installation/operation instructions? If not, they shouldn't be difficult to come by. Good luck! Walt

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

What brand of control are you installing?

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hondon... Based upon his topic description I "assumed" (shame on me) he installed a Quicksilver shift control. It would be helpful to know for sure though... Walt<br /><br />Bryan... If you did install a Quicksilver unit, what model number??

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

They make several, but the Quicksilver control I installed on a jon last week had cable holders on both,top and bottom of the handle mech. You would want to move the throttle cable from the bottom holder to the top.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

PS; the forward/revese cable may be moved if needed also.