2000 Mercury 90 HP 4 stroke!

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at this motor at a local dealer he said it was a lease motor from Canada. Just wondering if anyone heard of this before and if it sounds like a good deal. And is this motor actually made by Yamaha? The asking price is $5800.00 with a 60 day warranty. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2000 Mercury 90 HP 4 stroke!

Ahoy, Mako. I have been told by reliable sources that Yamaha makes the powerhead for Merc and Merc makes the lower end. What confuses me is that Yamaha doesn't sell a 90hp engine, so it must be the same powerhead as the Yamaha 100/80. $5800 sounds like a good deal. I have heard nothing but good things about the Yammy 100/80, but a friend with a 2000 Merc 90 4 stroke on a Boston Whaler 17 says he wishes he had gotten the Suzuki/Evinrude 70 EFI instead (smoother, quieter, trolls better). The Suzi, however is priced up there with a new Yammy 100, so go figure. . . how much more is the EFI worth? I put a Suzi on my Whaler and I love it, but I didn't get offered a Merc for such a good price.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

mako

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks JB, I was going to put this motor on a 18 ft Bluefin cc but I was a little late buying the boat as I was checking the motor at another place. Now I have a possible motor but no transom to hang it on! I've also heard from several people that Yamaha makes the powerhead on the merc. I dont understand how the Yamaha 80 and 100, and the Merc 90 all have the same powerhead but are rated at different HP. The Yamaha 100 and the merc 90 both are 97.4 ci, and the 80 hp is 97 ci. same compression ratio, and gear ratios! Thanks Aagain!

bad4stroke

Recruit

My father-in-law is on his second merc 90 4 stroke in as many years! They ran for a year and then just began cutting out. Nobody has any answers. Merc took the first one back but now the second one is doing the same. He's having LOUSY luck wiht getting anyone at Merc to listen. A heads up!