30hp vs 40 hp Mercury

thouseholder

Recruit
I bought a new 13' Boston Whaler sport, last year. It was rated for 30hp and came with a Merc 30 hp 2 cyl 2 cyc. Great boat, but a little slow off the block with my kids water skiing. I was going to go to a power prop of some sort this summer. <br /><br />Now I see that the 2001 Whaler sport is rated at 40 hp and comes with a 40 hp Merc. I asked Whaler if I could put a 40 on last years boat. They say they never recertify an old model year but they admit that the boat has not been redesigned or changed in any way. So there is no reason I couldn't put a 40 hp on last years boat. <br /><br />I checked the specs and find that the 30 and 40 hp Mercs are identical in displacement, weight, and most other specifications. So how do they get the extra 10 hp and is there a way to modify the 30 to get it or would I actually have to buy another motor? <br /><br />On the other hand would I be wiser to just go to a different prop? Certainly would be cheaper than trading out a perfectly good 30hp engine with about a dozen weekends worth of hours on it. <br /><br />Any advice would be appreciated.