mercury outboard alarm

dhobber

Recruit
This weekend I dinged the propeller on my 1989 Mercuury 90 on a rock, ripping a piece the size of a dime off one blade. Now whenever I turn the key on, an alarm sounds (steady beep, which I am told is overheating). The alarm sounds with the key on even if the motor is cold and not running. Does anyone know how I can diagnose this problem?

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: mercury outboard alarm

Hi DHobber,<br />If you still need an answer it is the oil warning module (small black box on starboard side of motor) with 5 wires comming out of it.It is mounted below the starter. Or the <br />temperature sending unit back by the sparkplugs.The wire comming from it goes to<br />the the module(tan/lt.Blu)unplug it,see what happens.Also unplug your LT.Blue wires going<br />tothe oil sender in the oil tank. If the horn stops you have found the problem.<br />...hope you got fixed already...corm

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercury outboard alarm

corm is correct, it may very well be the warning module. I'd advise you to go one step further. Take your boat to a experienced boat mechanic. A waring horn system is not something to take for granted. Most engine com****** spent several million dollars trying to make sure you would know if there ever was a problem. Don't just disable the system. Get it fixed! Good luck !