MERCURY OIL TANK

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After having my boat inspected and serviced I ran it and had the low oil alarm go off a few times while running on smooth flat water, <br /><br />when I got home I called my dealer and he said after a boat sits for long periods as this one did, the oil has a tendancy to gel up, he suggested I inspect the screen on the pick up in the oil tank which I have done, he said to clean it with carb cleaner and run it again, <br /><br />the main resivoir was half full during the shakedown and the small resivoir on the engine was about 3/4's full, anyway I decided to drain the resivoir and clean it out<br /><br /> found a lot of jelly on the bottom of the tank, I rinsed it all out with pre mix and now I'm ready to re-install the tank is there a method for priming the system? or does the crankcase pressure immediately prime the system? this is '91 merc 175 thanx in advance guys, Don

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: MERCURY OIL TANK

murx, you have to mix the fuel inthe tank 50:1 first off. then fill the oil tank , then fill the tank on the engine.then start the engine on the 50:1 gas mix, let it run ,while running you have to bleed the oil pump, a small phillips screw on the pump, allow plenty of oil to purge out of bleed screw.you may loosen the cap on the motor and let it over flow allowing the air in the line from the remote tank to purge,this does get messy though. then run the full tank of 50:1 mixed gas out .then verify that the remote oil tank has consumed oil before switching back to straight fuel.it will smoke alot with the doubled up oil ,just don't idle too much and you shouldn'thave a problem fouling plugs.good luck

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: MERCURY OIL TANK

Hey John, I do have an extra six gallon remote tank around here somewhere that I can use so that won't be problem, I quess I'll pull the engine mounted tank off too and clean it out as well, thanx again Don