1989 Mariner 115 HP not running properly

spit-up

Recruit
HELP......I have a 1989 Mariner on my bass boat. The motor is starting but idling rough. There is a large amount of smoke (2 stroke oil)coming from the exhaust when starting the motor. When the motor is put into gear it usually stalls. When it does run, it is extremly sluggish and will only go about 10 miles per hour. This problem occured after storing the boat for about 10 months without starting it..........if you feel you know what my problem is PLEASE RESPOND. I have checked all (four) spark plugs and they look ok. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: 1989 Mariner 115 HP not running properly

Did ya start out with a fresh tank of gas??? :confused:

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you did not start out with fresh gas, I suggest that you drain your tank and purge all the old fuel from the lines and fuel pump. Drain the float chamber in your carbs and try with fresh fuel and use a "name" brand of oil. If that dosen't get it I suspect that your carbs are crudded up and you may need to install new carb kits. Cleaning them so they look shiney won't get the crud out of the little internal passages.<br /><br />Howard

brother chris

Commander

I agree with so little, carbs off and clean them. Snapperbait is right too. A new n fresh tank of juice would help too. don't forget another impellor :cool: , they are cheap enough <br />Happy boating...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You will have to take the carbs off and apart and let soak overnight in a good carb cleaner, and as stated before get all the old gas out of the system, as in tank, fuel lines and all. If it has set this long with any gas in the carbs, then the small passageways have got varnish in them and just spraying them with carb cleaner will not do the trick. Save yourself some time and angry, and take them apart and clean them good. Just my .02 worth.

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does the engine sound normal and make revs easily on the trailer? (not that I want you to rev it unloaded on the trailer) mine would act normal and seem fine on the hose. try and get it on plane and no go. went through the fuel system (everything) did a compression test new plugs still no plane<br />after spending a bunch of time and money on carbs fuel pump diaphrams etc. I replaced the switch box......and<br />presto ran like a raped ape. give it a de-carb too

Brandi

Recruit

this sounds exactly like what my husbands motor for his bass boat is doing. it will only go about 10mph and we dont know why he has cleaned the carbs clean gas tank replaced oil lines all that kind of stuff and it still doesnt run right out of the water with the muffs on it does but you put it in the water and you get 10mph. Where is switch box located on this motor, and do you know how much they run? Or how to test it? to see if that is what it really is?
Please help thanks :)