early/mid 1980's 15 HP Mariner won't idle

Case

Cadet
Recently aquired a mid 1980's vintage mariner 15 Hp that will not idle. It will start and run at the mid to high RPM range, but forget anything that remotely resembles an idle. The carb has been overhauled and the plugs replaced. I have done the bulb test, but have yet to try the WD 40 in the throat test. I have been told that it may be the ignition coil or the condenser charge coil. I get a blue spark when I pull the starter cord, but I would not describe it as impressive. How do I check these coils, or should I look elsewhere first. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.<br /><br />Case :cool:

mrnobody

Seaman Apprentice
Re: early/mid 1980's 15 HP Mariner won't idle

sounds to me like you need to do thewd test<br />how are the reeds?

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

run a compression check

Trent

Captain

Case..Like said above do a compression check. If ok REDO the carb. Sounds like the low speed circuit is stopped up. Just for your information. That engine is really a Yamaha built for Mariner. Iv got an 1984 15HP I bought new..Great little engine.

Case

Cadet

Guys,<br /><br />Thanks to you all! I followed your advice, compression checked very good, so I went back into the carb and sure eniugh, the idle jet had a piece of crap in it. Blew it out and problem solved!!! Now I have a new question. I replaced the water pump on general principal (no knowledge of previous maintenance habits). There are two drains - one from a small tube that runs from the block to the bottom rear of the cowl. The other is an impressive hole about 12" below the engine. On startup, a stream of water comes out of the small tube and a spray from the big one. After about 2 minutes of operation, the stream of water stops from the tube, but the spray continues from the large one. After finally gettingthe motor to idle last night, I let it run for about ten minutes. The water spray was not hot and the motor was not hot to the touch. Is everything OK?<br /><br />Case<br /><br />Work is for people that don't know how to fish...<br /><br />Cae :cool: :eek: :confused: