Mercury OptiMax ongoing problems

felice

Recruit
I own 2 boats with a total of 3 OptiMax engines, and have had nothing but ongoing problems with them. Mercury has refused to cover these, and refuses to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with these engines. We are looking at filing a lawsuit against Mercury, I am looking for anyone else out there who has encountered ongoing problems with these engines. :(

Gordie

Recruit
Re: Mercury OptiMax ongoing problems

What Hp are they 150 or the 225 and the year . Early 1999 had compressor problems they would scatter .Which problems have you had ?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

It seems to me that after this substansial investment in their product ,that Merc would at least give you a simpathetic ear. Have you contacted Merc consumer affairs?Is this a problem with the way these engines were rigged?Were these engines bought from a foreign source or delivered to you in the crate?Both these scenarios will cause any engine builder to turn it's back on it's warranty obligations.Have you personally spoken to someone from Merc ,or are you just taking your dealers word for it?

GOBOAT

Recruit

OPTIMAX 150 Problems - frequent plug fowling. I bought a Bennington pontoon (tritoon) boat new in 2001, with a 2000 OPTI 150 engine and have had nothing but problems since, Frequent spark plug fouling on all plugs. I am not a mechanic. No one else knows why, Merc also is of no help. I frequently run at low RPM. Are there any suggestions? Ohio has a lemon law and has anyone else had any luck geting action using this route?

The Marine Doctor

Commander

GoBoat<br /><br />When idleing along is there smoke?<br /><br />There should be a very very very small amount...may not even be noticable.<br /><br />It should run @ 300-400:1@idle.<br /><br />If you have smoke..it could be over oiling.<br /><br />And fouling plugs.<br /><br />TMD

FRED HAENISCH

Recruit

GoBoat,<br /><br />My partners and I own a 2000 225 Optimax. We have also encountered problems. Our problems are poor cold starting and a 2 to 3 hundred rpm surging which occurs frequently between 3 and 4 thousand rpm.<br /><br />Our dealer has been working their tails off and so far has replaced the computer 2 times, the tracker valve 2 times and has rebuilt the air pump. At this point we have managed to take care of the surging but the starting problem persists. Our dealer has called Mercury in and we are supposed to meet with a rep this week sometime. I will post the result.<br /><br />I found a post on sportfishing.com forum where a guy says that Mercury finally (after 14 months) agreed to replace the Optimax with an EFI. He is happy but..... I had a 200 EFI and I would have a hard time going back to one in light of the terrible mpgs comparatively speaking.<br /><br />Good Luck!

pilldok

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by GoBoat:<br /> OPTIMAX 150 Problems - frequent plug fowling. I bought a Bennington pontoon (tritoon) boat new in 2001, with a 2000 OPTI 150 engine and have had nothing but problems since, Frequent spark plug fouling on all plugs. I am not a mechanic. No one else knows why, Merc also is of no help. I frequently run at low RPM. Are there any suggestions? Ohio has a lemon law and has anyone else had any luck geting action using this route?

pilldok

Seaman Apprentice

I too have a Bennington tritoon(2575fs) mated to an Optimax 150hp. My boat is a 2000 while the engine is 2001 however. I have not had any problems at all with plugs failure but it may be because I can not operate at low speed! My boat will run hot if i don't maintain rpms of 2100 or greater. Have you had similiar problems? I have been told it may be due to the middle toon creating a channel of water in front of the foot of the motor. This theoretically is preventing the motors water intakes from receiving adequate water! At what speed does your boat maintain at WOT? What type of prop do you have?

yoyoey

Recruit

What Hp are they 150 or the 225 and the year . Early 1999 had compressor problems they would scatter .Which problems have you had ?

i got 2 optimax HP225 bought on middle of 2009. we had problem with compressor. until yesterday, 3 unit compressors been used and change. My question is:
1. do mercury build optimax compressor as a disposable part?
2. how to make sure the compressor life time goes longer?
3. how to overcome compressor problems? any tips?

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own 2 boats with a total of 3 OptiMax engines, and have had nothing but ongoing problems with them. :(

not to sound like a jerk but why would you keep buying them if your always haveing trouble with them. Seems after the first one I would have been going with another brand.....just an observation.