Brand new Mercruser 3.0 throttle hesitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaldino

Recruit
I have installed two brand new Merc 3.0L I/o's in a 1977 24'sea ray. Both engines run great at idle and run great at higher RPMs but will not throttle up without bogging down and sometimes stalling. Slowly advancing the throttle works fine, only quick advances cause the problem. These engines have an HEI distributer with a separate coil. I have the Merc service manual and have followed the required procedures for setting the timing and idle mixture and the problem still exists. I have verified that the choke and accelerator pump are working properly. I have tried advancing the timing slightly and it didn't seem to make a diference. <br /><br />Everything is new from helm to prop, this includes wiring, fuel lines and filters, engines, gimbals, outdrives, trim pumps, everything except the fuel tank. The tank was removed for inspection and found to be in good shape and reinstalled. It did sit empty over the winter so some condensation may have occured. There are two separate pickups from the tank, one for each engine. Both lines have new water separaters/filters in addition to the filters on the carb. <br /><br />What else could I be missing? Is there some unknown trick for setting up these engines?

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Brand new Mercruser 3.0 throttle hesitation

Check your batts and alt. Sometimes even new parts are bad. How long did the carbs sit,could be leaking air around the shafts. Then on new motors they use alot of oil in the cylinders (to prevent rust) when they build them,could be bad plugs. Just a guess....... Just did the same thing with a complete drive rebuild from pullys to prop. You always have to chase a couple of bugs. You can always call the people you bought the motors from and ask them.

gbaldino

Recruit

Thanks f_inscreenname. I'll give those a check.<br /><br />I did call the dealer I bought them from. His great words of wisdom were to bring it to a Merc certified mechanic. Lot's of help there.

f_inscreenname

Commander

What type of carbs do you??????????????? Could have a answer.

gbaldino

Recruit

Not 100% sure but I think they are Rochester 2jet carbs.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Talked to my bud and this is what we came up with. On you carbs accelerator pump lever (the one that pushes the pump)there should be two or more holes for the linkage to go into. It should be the hole closest to the carb for more gas at the get go. I am sure your accelerator pump is squrting gas but not enough to get your heavy boat going. Thats why you can ease it up slowly (it has time to catch up) but when you nail it there isnt enough gas. On a Holly you would change the cam on the side of the carb to push the pump in faster on take off. On a Rochester it has to be in the linkage some where,start with the pump lever.

gbaldino

Recruit

Thanks for the sugestion. I had tried that before I started playing with the timing and it didn't seem to help. I will try it again tonight now that the timing is advanced a little.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Any resolution for this problem?

Maybe back in June of 2002, but why don't you start a thread of your own to see if any new diagnostics have been developed in the ensuing 15 years. This thread was inactive long before you even joined.

The top of the page has a Help Tip, please read it and start your new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.