1964 Mercury 110 9.8 HP

KyleMN

Recruit
I have a 1964 mercury 110 9.8 HP motor. The serial number is 1702xxx

One of the spark plug wires is cracked. I can't tell where the wire terminates, it appears to be up under the flywheel. How do I replace the spark plug wire and where do I source one? Do I need to remove the flywheel to access it?

I had it running 15 years ago, and at that time the water spit out sporadically from the engine. I suspect the water pump impeller needs to be replaced. Where can I find the part? Found a video on youtube showing how to replace the impeller.

The hood latch is broken on one side of the hood which results in the hood not being tight which makes starting the motor a pain. Is the hood latch something that can be purchased separately from the hood?

This is a project I'm working on with my 12 year old son. Trying to get him off the xbox and learn a few things. Hopefully getting him some mechanical skills will help save me time and money when he's 20 and at college and the car doesn't start. I appreciate any help you can give.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Good on you for teaching your son about the world outside of screens! Doing the same with my kiddos.

On your questions... Best to pull the flywheel and access the coil that way to replace the plug wire. That will also allow you to assess the points and condensers - likely in need of service/replacement anyway due to sitting for a spell.

Also, plan on replacing the water pump impeller - a weak spot on those motors anyway.

As for the cowling latch - watch eBay or post an ad at the AOMCI.org site. They used them on several years and models, so they're out there.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Parts are available .---Just takes time to find them and not the same as going to the local pub for a cold one.----Your location ? ?

KyleMN

Recruit
I am located in southern Minnesota.

Just going to have to start the search for parts. Something to teach my son also, it ain't always easy.