1986 Mercury 60 hp Trim Limit Switch Adjustment

BillyGibson

Recruit
I'm having problems with the trim switch operating in the up position. Down works fine and trailer works fine going up but trimming up does nothing. I pushed the plunger in at the trim limit sensor and the switch works. Do these plungers get wore off because it appears the tab that pushes the plunger in doesn't push it in far enough. Also, is there a specific way to adjust this type of switch. I know it can be adjusted just not sure of when it's properly adjusted.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those trim limit switches can wear out. I usually just bypass them. A jumper between the trim limit switch wires where they plug into the harness should bypass them.

Of course, you need to act as the trim limit switch, and not over trim the motor.

BillyGibson

Recruit
I was able adjust the metal lever in and get it to work the plunger and now the motor trims up a small amount, just not sure how high it should go.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The motor should trim high enough to get max performance. This can vary from boat to boat.

Normally the trim limit is set so the motor will not trim past the confines of the transom bracket. Also normally, the motor will ventilate before it trims past the confines of the transom clamp.

I would try to set the trim limit switch to that point. If it doesn't work, use the trim and tilt buttons to trim her until max speed is achieved. See if you can set the trim limit switch to that angle or a bit more. If not you might consider bypassing the trim limit switch.