1984 Mercury 25 hp wont start/backfires through exhaust

See if you guys can help me out with this. I have a 25hp mercury I just picked up has good compression, needed a stator so I replaced that, while I was in there also replaced the ignition trigger, and the spark plugs now I have spark in both cylinders and no fuel so I cleaned and rebuilt the carb........wont start but will get a backfire out of the exhaust. I tried swapping the Ignition coil wires as it seems like a timing issue. I advanced the trigger with the coils switched to either cylinder.......the reid valves physically looked good when I had the carb off...............what am I missing? A backfire out of the exhaust means fire in the hole so is that definitely some sort of timing issue? It's a brand new trigger.....Thanks in Advance!

Nautical Ailments

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Is the flywheel key in good condition? Did you do the link and sync? Did you adjust the stator timing rod? Is the high Idle rod pulling on the stator?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not a pro here, and really only familiar with Johnson engines so this may not apply, but it sounds like a possible sheared flywheel key..
I know on the Jonsons, I can can put Cyl #1 at top dead center, and check the timing pointer and see if it lines up with 0° or "TDC" marked on the flywheel.. If not, flywheel key is sheared..

Can you do something similar on the Mercury?
Just a thought...