2005 Mercury 90 hp weird oily leak gear case/Grunge In Fuel Filter

bcj.jones

Seaman
I noticed a real thick oily type fluid coming out of the lower unit "weep" hole. Started to come out when i was running it on muffs. I'm having a problem with it not wanting to idle at all. Runs pretty good off idle, good power. Anyone know what it is? Gear oil? Anyone know why it's coming out?

Thank for you for any help! I think the idling issue is old gas, or I might need to clean the carbs.

Attachments

• photo286099.jpg
    photo286099.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo286100.jpg
    photo286100.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 0

bcj.jones

Seaman
Is that a pretty good indication that its just pre mix/excessive oil? Is that normal? Or could that be part of my idling problem?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post the results of your compression test.----Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on all 3 leads , yes or no.-----You will see that seepage on an idling 2 stroke on a hose.----Does the primer bulb go hard , yes or no ?---If bulb does not go hard you could have float valve issues.---Or an internal leak in the fuel pump.

bcj.jones

Seaman
I've checked compression. Solid 125 across all 3 cylinders. Spark strong enough to start a fire, but yes it jumps a 3/8" gap. Primer gets hard and stays hard

bcj.jones

Seaman
I'm glad that seepage is normal, was having a heart attack there for a minute. Just got done redoing all the wood and carpet on the boat lol

bcj.jones

Seaman
I wanted to be sure to add these two photos as well. The previous owner had the boat sitting for about 6-8 months before I bought it. It wouldn't start shortly after I took ownership and I figured out the original fuel filter was completely clogged up. I removed it and installed a see through filter and after priming the motor this is what came out of the fuel tank?

Also, on each carb there is a hole at the top with no screw in it. If I over prime the motor fuel will come out of these holes. I'd consider that normal but they are threaded holes, like a screw of some sort should be in them. It is on all the carbs though.

Attachments

• photo286109.jpg
    photo286109.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286110.jpg
    photo286110.jpg

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Take it this is a 2 stroke ? If not, I’d be worried.

bcj.jones

Seaman
Whats this in my fuel filter? 2005 Mercury 90 HP 2 stroke

Bought a boat with a 90 hp mercury 2 stroke. Ran/idling great first time out. Second time out it wouldn't start. Got it back home and found the fuel filter completely clogged. Couldn't even push fuel through it with the primer. Changed it out for a clear aftermarket inline filter and when i primed the motor the stuff in the picture came out of the on board tank?? Once I changed the fuel filter, the motor would start but will not idle. It hesitates on acceleration but once it gets going it'll get to 5500 rpm at 40 mph. I'm going to have to assume that some of this crap got passed the fuel filter and clogged the low jets up on the carb? Would that be y'alls assumption? Spark and compression are strong. Primer bulb stays hard. Anyone know what this crap is? Once I got it all primed through the filter I haven't seen anymore come out.

Also, I notice at the top of each of the 3 carbs there is a hole with no screw in it? If I over prime the motor with the primer bulb it will spit fuel out of that hole. Which I would just assume is normal but the hole is threaded like there is supposed to be a screw in there.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• photo286109.jpg
    photo286109.jpg
    883.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286110.jpg
    photo286110.jpg