Mercury control box reverse trouble

jvilla2113

Recruit
I just bought a 2003 tracker with a 90 lepto. I'm barely able to move the shifter to reverse, maybe 10 degrees, Just barely enough to engage the shifter on the motor into reverse. If I push the advance throttle button it will go all the way down in reverse. Forward gear works fine. Any ideas where I should start? I don't think the problem is in the lower unit since it will engage both directions but I've never had a control box apart.

thanks in advance!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard with your first post. :smile:

First, pushing what you call the advance throttle button disconnects the throttle and shift mechanism inside the control so the remote handle can move from front to back and not shift the lower unit.

Second, Is the motor running as you try to shift into reverse? If the gears aren't perfectly lined up with the motor off, shifting is difficult and forcing into reverse can cause damage. Try to have someone turn the prop as you shift into reverse. Motor off, of course.

What you have described is normal for shifting into reverse with the motor off.

If you can't shift into reverse with the motor running, the shift cable needs adjusting or possibly replaced. Controls don't go bad that often.

jvilla2113

Recruit
You're absolutely right. The motor was not running and I had no one eith me but I was able to turn the prop and then was able to shift into reverse. With a week long fishing trip approaching I'm trying to dismiss any possible issues. Thanks much for your help!