115 Mercury 4 stroke oil change Question

newt5005

Seaman
Not new to boating but new to outboards. Bought a fishing boat with a 2014 115 Merc 4 stroke and now it’s time for a service. Checked a couple sources that identify draining the motor oil through a valve/plug located on the starboard side of the engine. Well, no.
Actually, the plug is located on the port side and is not a plug/ valve but a simple plug. It’s slightly recessed compounding access for a tube or funnel to contain and direct the oil. As I went through the process, it made quite the mess, running down the side of the motor and dripping off the fins on the leg.
There’s GOT to be something I’m missing, as far as the mess goes.
Any suggertions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
They make drain plugs with valves and hoses for I/O engines. Would one of those work?

Other than that, get some "Purple Stuff" cleaner. It cleans oil up real well.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
From the Service Manual, two ways:

Pump Method:

Place outboard in a vertical, upright position.

Remove dipstick and slide adapter tube/pump down dipstick tube. Pump out engine oil into an appropriate container.

Drain Plug Method:

Tilt outboard up to the trailer position.

Turn the steering on the outboard so that the drain hole is facing downward. Remove drain plug and drain engine oil into an appropriate container. Lubricate the seal on the drain plug with oil and reinstall.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
^+1.....what he said

yes, makes a mess

dawn dish soap or simple green to clean up

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I also have made them messes... Even when in the trailer position, I've made a mess with some of them. I finally figured out, is to take the oil filter box, tear it apart and make a v in it, like a funnel, stick it under the plug area, remove the plug and hold the pan under it till it comes out slow and set it down.

newt5005

Seaman
Thanks for the input. I’m not above cleaning up the mess but I’d rather prevent it in the first place. Gonna look into replacing the plug with a plug/valve during the next oil change. That looks like the best option. Why purposefully make a big mess when you can prevent it........

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Run motor to warm the oil, trim up to full trim, turn all the way to port, and then open the plug while holding a pan underneath.. The oil drains straight down. Takes about 5 minutes - No mess or dripping.

I have seen some newer models that have the "cap" with a "nipple" on the stbd side. They drain by attaching a hose to the nipple and rotating the cap to start the flow.

Why not download the service manual for your exact model and year.